What should I do if I strained my achilles tendon?

Almost positive that I strained my achilles tendon. I know I didn't tear it but it is definitely sore. How should this be treated? Don't want to see a doctor if it's not necessary.
The achilles tendon is a common injured area. Often this will resolve on its own. Unfortunately, there are some instances in which this requires more intensive therapy (such as surgery). I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. If your primary care doctor confirms that this is just a strain (and not a fracture of the bone or tendon rupture) --- they may prescribe what we call "RICE therapy." The main problem in a strain is that the tendon becomes inflammed. Therefore, RICE therapy works to reduce the inflammation. The R in RICE stands for rest -- try and stay off the effected food as possible. The I stands for ICE -- at least initially this can help reduce the swelling. The C stand for compression -- by an ace wrap from the local drug store can help. Finally the E stands for elevation -- keep it elevated while sitting in order to allow for the swelling to decrease. Beyond RICE therapy, there are some medicines that can reduce inflammation. These include motrin (ibuprofen) or advil or naproxen. They all have side effects and can be dangerous, so talk to your doctor about this. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!

Other Podiatrists