ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have chest acne?

Question

Why do I have chest acne?

For some reason I keep getting pimples/acne on my chest, right in the middle. I?m a 22 year old male and haven?t had acne since I was in junior high. What is causing this?

Answer

Acne is a skin problem that can occur in any area of the body that contain skin oil (sebaceous) glands. While it most often occurs in adolescence and clears in early adulthood, it can persist into adulthood and can even recur after going away (as in your case). Acne is usually brought on by hormone induced changes in these glands that cause them to get clogged with skin material and infected. No one will be able to tell you for sure why you developed it now. The next step for you is to get your acne treated. The first step is usually trying a medicated cream that contains benzoyl peroxide. This is a medication that acts to kill bacteria in pimples and unclog the pores that eventually become pimples. Topical and even oral antibiotics are very safe and effective as well. Finally, more powerful medications are available for acne not responsive to these medications. I think that since you are an adult now, and your acne seems more complicated than simple adolescent pimples, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she can examine your chest and determine what type of treatment is best to start with. Good luck.