Can you get a fungus on your genitals?

I went to the clinic because I have been having some itching around my testicles and penis. They said that I probably have a fungus. How do you get a fungus on your genitals? Is this possible?
Fungal infections of the skin are very common; this is because fungus thrive on the surface of the skin, especially in humid dark areas like the groin and the feet. The fungus that cause skin infections are very commonly encountered in the environment - for example, the can be found in the soil or in shower stalls or gym locker rooms. In other words, it is easy to pick them up! When you have a fungal infection of the skin, the symptoms tend to include redness, scaling, and itching of the skin. It is also common for there to be some odor. When the fungal infection occurs in the groin or on the genitals, it is known as tinea cruris, or jock itch. Jock itch is easy for your doctor to diagnose, so if that is what your clinic told you that you had then they are most likely right. Fortunately, jock itch is easy to treat. In addition to cleaning the skin regularly and keeping it dry, most cases of jock itch will require an anti fungal cream. There are several anti fungal creams available over the counter. Please talk to your primary care doctor to obtain a recommendation.

9415 E Harry St

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045