ZocdocAnswersWill putting a bandage on a pimple help it heal faster?

Question

Will putting a bandage on a pimple help it heal faster?

I?ve been getting bad pimples on my neck that are large and painful. If I were to put bandages or band-aids on the pimples will it help them heal faster and prevent them from causing more pimples?

Answer

In general, we do not recommend that pimples get covered with bandages. This is because they are unlikely to work. Bandages are helpful with wounds that you would like to keep clean, or would like to keep saturated with an ointment such as an antibiotic ointment. For the most part, pimples are not wounds that we need to keep ointment on all day, or protect from mechanical damage. What you really need is better care for your acne. We have many great treatments for acne that can really help. The best thing for you to do is schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can review what you've tried and examine your acne to determine what type it is (there is more than one type of acne). From there you can get treatment. Usually the first line treatment is a medication called benzoyl peroxide. This is a medication that comes in a cream which can dry out and clear up most pimples. If this does not work, both topical and oral antibiotics can be tried. In addition, a cream called retin A cream can be used which breaks apart the clogged pores. If your doctor thinks your acne needs seen by a specialist, then you can get a referral to see a dermatologist.