search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have a respiratory disease?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have a respiratory disease?

Question

I have a cough that I just can?t seem to shake. No other symptoms, just congestion in my chest and a cough. Do I have some kind of a respiratory disease? Could it have something to do with the air where I live?

Answer

The answer to your question depends on a lot of factors. For example, if you have had your cough for one month or less, then the most likely culprit is a viral bronchitis. This is an infection in the lower airways of your lungs. It causes a cold-like syndrome for a few days to a week followed by up to 3 weeks of cough. This can be quite annoying, but does go away eventually. Your report of feeling congested in your chest is very consistent with a viral bronchitis. If your cough has been going on for more than a month, then it is probably caused by something else. An infection with the bacterial bordetella pertussis causes the illness whooping cough. This cough can last up to 6 months. Smoking, or exposure to other environmental toxins can also cause a more long lasting cough. If you are a smoker, your first step towards getting rid of this cough is to quit smoking. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. More than likely, your doctor will be able to make a diagnoses right there and start you on treatment.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances