Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why does my nose keep running?

I was roller skating with some pals and took a pretty hard fall. My jaw swelled up and ever since then I have had liquid coming out of my nose on just the left side. Did I damage something in my sinuses? Why won?t my nose stop running? Is this permanent?
I would recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by a general otolaryngologist (ENT aka Ears Nose Throat physician) for a number of reasons which I will outline and explain. First off, if you fell that hard and had significant jaw swelling, it would be nice to know if you have a jaw fracture. It might not be a significant fracture, but if one is present, they may recommend at least staying on a soft diet for a number of weeks until it heals (if it is even fractured). Secondly, by the brief history that you give, I am worried that you may have developed a traumatic CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak. There is a fluid that surrounds your brain and spinal cord which is clear, and can sometimes leak if there is a fracture in the skull base (roof of the sinuses). It usually has a salty or metallic taste and typically drips or leaks more aggressively with a valsalva (like having a bowel movement), or when leaning forward. Much of the time these heal on their own (if this is even what is going on), but sometimes they don't, and we have to do surgery to repair them. First off I would recommend getting checked out to see if this is even the case. In the mean time, make sure that if you have any spiking fevers, neck stiffness, or significant malaise (tired, feeling crummy) that you go to the emergency department as it may be the start of meningitis which is a potential complication of having a CSF leak. I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!