ZocdocAnswersCan you get a urinary tract infection from having sex?

Question

Can you get a urinary tract infection from having sex?

I?m a 24 year old female and my doctor said that I have a urinary tract infection. How do people get these? Did I get it from having sex? I always use a condom!

Answer

A bacterial urinary tract infection is the most common kind of infection affecting the urinary tract. It is dubbed "honeymoon cystitis," referring to a phenomenon that occurs in highly sexually active women or those who engage in sexual interourse at high frequency during the early years of marriage. Urine that is filtered out of the bloodstream by the kidneys is sterile. Urinary tract infection (UTI) typically occurs when bacteria from the rectal area (most likely Escherichia coli in your feces) enter the urinary tract through the urethra and begin to multiply in the bladder leading to a full-blown infection in the urinary tract. One of several ways bacteria can get into the urethra is during sexual intercourse. These bacteria can easily reach the bladder through the urethra during a vaginal intercourse because a woman's urethra is near the anus and vagina. Most UTIs are bladder infections that can be quickly and easily treated. It is important to get treatment promptly to avoid the more serious infection when it reaches the kidneys. I would suggest a visit with a primary care physician. Good luck!