ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having pain in my eye?

Question

Why am I having pain in my eye?

There is a strange pressure and pain in my right eye. It feels like there is pressure behind my eye and it hurts when I look to the sides really fast. What is wrong with my eye and what is causing this pain?

Answer

Eye pain is very alarming since our vision is so important to daily life! If you are having pain or changes in your vision, you should always seek immediate attention, either with your primary care physician or in an urgent care/emergency department setting if necessary. Sorting out what is causing eye pain comes down to a patient's history and an examination. Your doctor will want to know more about when this pressure and pain started. Have you had it before? Your other medical conditions, if any, and medications will also be important to know, as this may suggest a specific cause for your symptoms. Your doctor will also want to know about any possible trauma to the eye. With any kind of eye complaint it is also important to know if there has been any effect on your vision. Finally, there are several ways to examine the eye itself, including a fundoscopic exam of the back of the eye as well as a slit lamp exam that allows a physician to evaluate the cornea and anterior compartments of the eye. A combination of pain and pressure can be caused by a wide range of issues, including an infection of the outer part of the eye or the soft tissue surrounding it; conditions intrinsic to the eye such as glaucoma; inflammation of a part of the eye such as anterior uveitis (often associated with other health concerns; problems with the retina at the back of the eye; or sometimes even certain kinds of headaches that manifest themselves with eye pain. The most important thing you can do with any symptoms involving your eye or vision is to seek medical attention right away!