ZocdocAnswersWhat are these little white bumps on my hand?

Question

What are these little white bumps on my hand?

There is a little cluster of little white bumps on my hand kind of near my thumb joint. They are flesh colored and just raised above my skin a little bit. Kind of itchy, but not really. What is this? Are they warts?

Answer

One possibility is that these are the start of some skin warts. Warts are infections of the skin caused by the human papilloma virus. They typically start small but can become large with a rough, bumpy texture to them. They tend to spread across the skin and therefore small clusters of them, like you are noticing, is common. Another very likely possibility is a related skin infection, also caused by a virus, called molluscum contagiosum. Unlike skin warts, molluscum produces smaller, rounded "pearl-like" spots. Like skin warts, the infection is contagious and spreads to other parts of the skin with scratching. Both skin warts and molluscum contagiosum are not serious problems. They tend to clear up on their own, although they often will spread first before the body's immune system is able to fight them off. If they spread rapidly, or become a cosmetic problem, they can be removed by your doctor. Removal techiniques including simply freezing the warts off; also, there are multiple chemicals that can be applied to the spots to help get rid of them. I would start by seeing your primary care doctor or a dermatologist, who can confirm the diagnosis and make recommendations about what to do next.