Is there any way to get rid of kidney stones once you have them?

My doctor says that I have some small kidney stones. He didn?t seem worried about them though. Is there any way I can get rid of them or is it if they are already there you can do anything about it?
Kidney stones are small hard formations of calcium and other materials that are excreted by the kidney. They are very common, and only cause serious problems when they get stuck in the ureter and obstruct the flow of urine from your kidneys to your bladder. If you have kidney stones, there is always that possibility that this will happen. However, the process of actively getting rid of them is challenging, and usually not done unless there is an event where a kidney stone gets stuck in the ureter. The best physician for you to see about this problem is a urologist. A urologist has the tools available to get rid of the kidney stones if necessary. You can also get some good advice on how to prevent new kidney stones from forming and prevent the ones you have from getting bigger. Depending on the type of kidney stone you have, there are medications that can be used to help prevent their formation. For example, a medication called hydrochlorothiazide helps prevent calcium excretion, which is an important part of the process by which some kidney stones form. Finally, you can get advice as to how much fluid you should drink everyday. In some instances, drinking more fluid can help prevent kidney stone formation. Good luck.

Other Urologists