Can someone be allergic to fruit?

I know that people have food allergies, but can you be allergic to fruit? I tried an apricot for the first time about a week ago and got bad diarrhea. Does that mean that I am allergic to apricots?
While an allergy to a fruit is a bit less common than other types of foods such as peanuts and fish, it certainly is possible. Anytime you develop a bad reaction to eating a food, you should make note of what you ate in the meal to see what it could be. In this case, I think it is unlikely that you are allergic to apricots. This is because diarrhea is usually not the only symptom one gets from eating a food. While diarrhea can occur, reactions that are typical of food allergies are hives, flushing, and sometimes difficulty breathing. Diarrhea can occur because of a food, but that has more to do with your digestive system than an allergy. If you have a similar reaction again to another food, or if you develop one of the above mentioned symptoms of diarrhea, then you should get tested for that allergy. To do this, you will need to schedule an appointment with an allergist. An allergist is a specialist who can perform allergy testing which can help get to the bottom of what you may be allergic to. This way, you will know what types of foods you need to avoid, and which ones are not that worrisome.

Nearby Allergists

Other Allergists