Is it bad for your brain if you become unconscious?

I got hit in the head and blacked out four days ago. I feel fine now. Is it bad for your brain to be unconscious though? It was only a few seconds according to my friend. Should I have my brain scanned or something?
A brief loss of consciousness is very common after a head injury. If you were on a blood thinner like Plavix or coumadin, you might need to get a head CT scan after the incident. But it has been 4 days and if you do not have signs or symptoms of neurological deficits, then it is probably an over-kill to get a head scan at this time. These are some examples of neurological symptoms that a person might have with a brain injury: visual changes, numbness or tingling on one part of the body, weakness or lack of sensation on one side of the body. There may not be any significant lesions on the brain scan in head injuries severe enough to cause a loss of consciousness. But there may be some possibilities that there are injuries to the neural circuit at the micro level. Regardless, after such an injury you may expect to have concussive symptoms which can be quite severe sometimes. These symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, poor memory and cognitive symptoms. These symptoms get better over time. When they recur it is important to rest and decrease noise, lights, and other types of stimulation. Your brain just needs a quiet break. Some people may need to take time out from work or school because these activities trigger an attack. I would recommend that you visit a primary care physician to be properly evaluated.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024