ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to deal with a migraine headache?

Question

What is the best way to deal with a migraine headache?

Pretty sure that I got a migraine headache the other day. It was the worst headache I ever had and I got sick to my stomach too. How can I prevent this from happening again and whats the best way to deal with a migraine when you get one?

Answer

Migraine is only one form of the common headache, and it typically first starts to affect people before the age of 40 (women more than men). Migraines are classically of at least moderate intensity, affect one side of the head, are pulsating, associated with nausea/vomiting, worsened by bright lights and loud sounds, and worsened with activity. They may also be associated with aura, usually a visual disturbance that signals that the headache is coming soon. Typically migraines are brought on by certain triggers (foods, caffeine, exercise, etc), which can vary from person to person. It is important to identify triggers to help prevent the migraines from coming in the first place; keeping a headache diary can help with this. After a headache has started, an abortive treatment can be attempted to end the headache. Some people may find relief with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, while others may require other drugs (such as a prescription-drug in the Triptan class). When migraines start to come a few times per month and cause significant disability, it is often recommended to start a different type of medication to take on a daily basis as a prophylactic measure. If you are experiencing new headaches or are concerned that you may be suffering from migraines, it is advisable that you consult with your primary care physician to come up with an accurate diagnosis and treatment strategy.