Is the bump on my knee a calcium deposit?

Below my knee cap, there is a bump on the bone in my leg. It is the pointy bone below your knee. The bump is sore and hurts when I press on it. Is this just a calcium deposit? Do they go away on their own?
This bump below your knee is a common problem. The bump is probably located right where the patellar tendon meets the bone. This junction can become inflamed and cause swelling and pain. This is a common problem in younger people often around the time of the adolescent growth spurt. When this occurs during this time of your life, we call this Osgood Schlatter's disease. During the rapid growth period of the leg bones. The patellar tendon tears away from the bone in small amounts causing pain and swelling. These small tears cause deposits of bone and calcium in the area that grow over time causing a more permanent bump. Most people with Osgood Schlatter's disease experience relief from the problem in their mid-late teenage years. Often the problem never prevents any sports or other physical activity. Rarely, some people experience some pain and swelling in their knees for many more years. There is no definitive treatment other than rest when the pain gets worse. There is usually no long term disability from the problem. The best type of physician for you to see for this issue is an orthopedic surgeon. While there is no definitive operation that can help this problem, the orthopedic surgeon will be able to recommend treatments when your pain and swelling flair.

Nearby Orthopedic Surgeons

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Thomas Cartwright
    Dr. Thomas Cartwright MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    17270 Red Oak Drive
    Houston, TX 77090
  • Dr. Thomas Hunt
    Dr. Thomas Hunt MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    7200 Cambridge St.
    Houston, TX 77030
  • Dr. Byung Lee
    Dr. Byung Lee MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    2120 North MacArthur Blvd
    Irving, TX 75061