Why is my adam?s apple crooked?

My adam?s apple it shifted over to one side. Does that mean that something is wrong with my neck muscles or is this pretty normal. Probably always been like that but I just noticed it.
The "Adam's apple" is a common term that is used when referring to the external appearance of the larynx (or "voice box"). The larynx of course sits on the top of the trachea (windpipe) which in most people is fairly midline. For the most part, the human body is fairly symmetric, however there are of course slight abnormalities, which may be the case in your situation. It is hard to say with any certainty without being able to examine you. The larynx has three main functions; the first and obvious one is that it contains the vocal folds and vocal apparatus resulting in speech. Second it is the narrowest part of the adult airway and is very significant in breathing. And third, it is integral in swallowing which is a complicated coordinated process. If you have a problem with any one of these three functions, then I would definitely recommend getting an evaluation from an otolaryngologist (ENT aka Ears Nose and Throat physician). There are pathologic problems in the neck that can cause deviation of the airway and larynx to one side. For instance a large thyroid goiter, or thyroid mass will commonly push the airway over to one side. Typically if it has become large enough to move the airway, you will notice other symptoms (this isn't always the case however). For this reason, it is safest to just get evaluated to make sure it isn't anything. I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best.

• Dr. Steven A. Burres
    Dr. Steven A. Burres MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
  • Dr. Kevin Browne
    Dr. Kevin Browne MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4499 Medical Drive
    San Antonio, TX 78229
  • Dr. Marc Kayem
    Dr. Marc Kayem MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210