ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do if I think I have insomnia?

Question

What can I do if I think I have insomnia?

I just can?t seem to get to sleep lately. Nothing gets me tired and I toss and turn for hours. Only slept like two hours a night for the last month. What can I do about this? Should I just start taking sleeping pills or would a doctor be able to help me out in some way?

Answer

This sounds like really bad insomnia. Sleeping for only two hours a night for a whole month surely has had negative effects on your life. While I have no doubt that you could use some treatment for your insomnia perhaps a sleeping pill. Understanding why you are having this much trouble is also important. The first question I would ask you is if there is anything else going on in your life that is affecting your sleep. If you have had a major life event such as getting a new job, losing a job, losing a loved one, or having a child, the stress of these events will have an effect on your ability to sleep. Another big affector of sleep is depression and anxiety. Depression can cause people to have major sleep disturbances especially early in the morning. Finally, if you have been started on a new medication recently, then it is possible that this is having an effect on your ability to sleep. I think the first step you should take is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss all the possible causes of your insomnia and initiate some much needed treatment right away.