ZocdocAnswersCan women lose their hair the same way that men do?

Question

Can women lose their hair the same way that men do?

I?m 27 years old and my hair is falling out. It has always been thing but now I keep seeing more and more in the shower and in the drain. Can women lose their hair the same way men do? Can it just slowly fall out?

Answer

Hair loss in women is much less common, but does occur on occasion. The most common cause of hair loss in men is the so called male pattern baldness or androgenic alopecia. When men lose hair, it is most likely associated with a hormone called dihydrotestosterone. When women lose hair it is usually associated with a different mechanism than the hormones that cause men to lose hair. To be honest, you are quite young to be losing your hair as a women. Even though hair loss is more rare in women, it is almost unheard of in your age group. The exception to this rule is if you have another condition namely an autoimmune disease. Some autoimmune diseases can cause hair loss. Another possibility is that you have developed a fungal infection of your scalp. This type of infection can cause hair loss which gets better after the infection is taken care of. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. The dermatologist can examine your scalp and figure out what is causing your hair loss. The quicker you figure this out, the quicker you can get started on the appropriate treatment. There are medications that can help with hair loss in women.