Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Can I get an allergic reaction from a piercing?"

ZocdocAnswersCan I get an allergic reaction from a piercing?


When I got my snake eye tongue piercing almost a year ago, I ate a sausage that had peppers and you can't have anything spicy during the healing process. I had gotten little bumps on my tongue and small white spots that went away once it healed but I took the piercing out also once it healed. When I eat spicy or certain foods and drink the white spots appear or my tongue, feels tingly with the bumps or hurt. Could this be a food allergy?


You have kind of an interesting problem, and ask some very good questions. Since there is no obvious answer from what you have described thus far, I would recommend that you make an appointment with an otolaryngologist (ENT or Ears Nose Throat) physician to have them evaluate your tongue. If you don't actually have the bumps when you come in to see them, they may ask you to come back once they show up again. With that being said, to the best of my knowledge eating different foods while a intra-oral wound is healing should have no affect on developing a food allergy. If you do happen to have developed a food allergy, I would think that it actually doesn't have anything to do with the piercing. There are a number of different questions that would be helpful to ask which I am not able to in this forum however, such as how long the bumps stay for, exactly what they look like, whether they are able to be scraped off, and whether you have these lesions anywhere else in your mouth. In general, if something comes on quick, and also goes away rather quick, it is usually not something bad like a cancer. Sorry that I can't give you a better answer, but it is not really possible without being able to examine and question you more. Try to get in to see an ENT when the bumps are actually present if you can. Best of luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.