ZocdocAnswersCould my cough be caused by mold?

Question

Could my cough be caused by mold?

i have a dry cough about two months now, could it possibly be mold that was found in our house? my mother passed away from lung cancer and im nervous it can be that.

Answer

Exposure to moldy environments may trigger a cascade of reactions in a response to your immune system that overreacts as you breathe in mold spores, especially if you are allergic to mold. The process is that when you inhale those airborne mold spores, your body recognizes them as foreign invaders and triggers a release of allergy-causing antibodies to fight them. As a result, it may cause a variety of health effects in the process. Having a cough is an effect that links indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms (sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, itchy throat, cough, and wheeze, etc.) in otherwise healthy people. But, people with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and those with chronic lung diseases may get very serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold. What is your cough like? That is, do you cough constantly or sporadically? Are you wheezing? Do you have other symptoms of a typical mold allergy? However, mold can also cause an illness without causing an allergic reaction. On the other hand, a cough that you have had for more than 2 months may be chronic. There are numerous causes of a chronic cough. Smoking can cause a cough that doesn't go away. Have you taken any medicines lately? Certain medications can cause chronic cough. Your chronic cough could be a symptom of an underlying condition including mild asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), allergic rhinitis, infections, interstitial lung disease, or the dreadful lung cancer, etc. Are you coughing up blood? In addition to coughing up blood, other symptoms of lung cancer may include hoarseness of voice, shortness of breath, wheezing, weight loss, and chest, shoulder, or back pain. Do you have any of these symptoms? If your cough is persistent, it is extremely important to seek help from a primary care physician to have your condition evaluated and especially rule out lung cancer. The doctor may order a chest X-ray that can detect most lung cancers.