ZocdocAnswersI am going for an ADHD evaluation in several days. Will I be drug tested?

Question

I am going for an ADHD evaluation in several days. Will I be drug tested?

I am an adult whose symptoms are increasing over time. I am having a lot of trouble functioning. I am also depressed over my pregnancy-related weight gain-- hence the short-term use of prescription appetite suppressant. It did NOT help my symptoms. I am terrified that I will be perceived as a recreational drug user, which I am absolutely not. Instead, I am desperately seeking relief.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It does sound like you need a good formal evaluation of these symptoms, and so I am glad to hear that you are going to see a doctor. A psychiatrist will be able to help you figure out whether you have ADHD symptoms and, if so, what you should do about them. Before talking about ADHD, I just want to touch on the fact that you are having weight gain and depression - like symptoms after your pregnancy. This could be post-partum depression, which is a serious condition that requires aggressive treatment, because it can greatly impact your day to day functioning and it can also make it hard for you to care for your new child. Also, some symptoms of depression may overlap with symptoms of ADHD (trouble concentrating, trouble completing tasks). Therefore, when you go to see your psychiatrist, strongly recommend that you mention these depressive symptoms, because it might be that it is the depression that needs treatment right now. Also, your psychiatrist will be able to evaluate you for adult ADHD, using a standard set of questions. I do not think you will be drug-tested, although your doctor will evaluate you briefly for symptoms of drug abuse. You shouldn't take this personally, or think of it as an insult, as it is just a standard part of caring for any person with your symptoms. Based on what is your psychiatrist finds, they will be able to recommend the appropriate treatment.