ZocdocAnswersCould I be pregnant?

Question

Could I be pregnant?

I had gotten my period on Sept. 26th. It ended on Oct. 1st. It was unusually long for me bc my period usually lasts 3-4 days. 2 weeks prior to getting my period, my breasts started to hurt, which is also unusual. The pain in my breasts lasted 2 weeks after my period. I just need to know if there is a possibility of me being pregnant. I am not on birth control. My boyfriend and I don't use condoms either.

Answer

I am sorry that you have been worried about being pregnant. You should see your primary care physician to discuss you symptoms and to perform a pregnancy test. There is a very real possibility that you may be pregnant since you have not had your period this month and do not use any form of contraception or birth control. It is difficult to say what was going on with your last menstrual cycle without discussing more details. Prior to seeing your physician, you should reflect on the pattern of your menstrual cycles. Do you get them regularly every 28 days or is there a variable amount of time between cycles? Other than this last period, have any periods been heavier or lighter than others? Have you been experiencing any other symptoms recently like headaches, change in hair growth, change in weight, or increased fatigue. Have you continued to eat a healthy diet and have regular exercise? Have you increased the amount of physical activity you participate in during a week? You should see your general physician to discuss your symptoms in detail and to perform a urine pregnancy test. If you are not trying to become pregnant, it would be advisable to use some form of contraception, such as birth control pills, an intrauterine device, or condoms.