Why isn't my ankle healing?

My ankle doesn't heal, its been 5 months. It it still swelled and hurts when I move it. I really don't know what to do to reduce the swelling since its limiting my mobility and both sides of my ankle hurt. I feel a ligament in my ankle move and a pop sound whenever I turn it a certain way , though its not very frequent. This is the medical report, help me please I really need it. - sequela ofhigh grade lateral collateral ligament sprain with exensive scarring around the lateral capsule and stabilizers. - sequela of chronic, high grade deltoid ligament sprain - chondromalacia, medial talar dome - ankle join effusion
Based on the medical report that you mention (which sounds to me like it is the results from an MRI scan of the ankle), it sounds like you had a very serious sprain of the ankle. As you probably know, a sprain is an injury in which the ligaments that connect the bones of the ankle together become stretched or torn, using from twisting of the ankle or a similar injury. Most of the time, ankle sprains do heal up on their own, and this can take quite a while, even weeks to months. However, if you are now 5 months out and still having significant swelling, pain, and "popping" of the ankle, that is cause for concern. Also your MRI report shows very significant scarring of the ankle ligaments at the site of the sprain. Taken together, all of this means that you need to see your doctor as soon as possible, if you have not done so already. When sprains are as bad as this and fail to heal, most of the time you need to see an orthopedic specialist, as sometimes surgery is needed. If you do not have an orthopedic doctor already, I would talk to your primary care doctor who will be able to make a orthopedic referral appointment for you.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons