ZocdocAnswersCan I be pregnant and still have my period?

Question

Can I be pregnant and still have my period?

because my periods are ALWAYS extremely heavy and this time i was a few days late and now im just been spotting only enough to wear a pad all day and there's not much there. when i usually go through two boxes of tampons and pads.

Answer

If you truly have a period, that means that you are not pregnant. However, not all vaginal bleeding is a sign that you are having your period. In your case, since your periods are usually heavy, and this one time they aren't then this could mean that the spotting you are having is not due to a true menstrual cycle. This is especially true if you have had unprotected intercourse this past month and have a reason to be pregnant. One possibility is that you are pregnant and this bleeding is related to embryo implantation. After conception, the fertilized egg makes its way down the fallopian tube and implants into the uterine wall. This usually happens about 8 days after conception. It sometimes results in a small amount of bleeding which can trick some women into thinking that they just had their period. Another possibility is that you have been pregnant for a couple weeks now and you just had a miscarriage. Early miscarriages are often mistaken for a period that is a few days late. This is usually causes more heavy bleeding. You should start by making an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN (whoever cares for your feminine health). He or she can walk you through the next best step which should include getting a pregnancy test. Good luck.