Book now. It's free!

What can I do if my jaw feels out of line?

The right side of my jaw feels like it is higher than the left side. The part I'm talking about is the back part, the point where the jaw joint is. It is definitely set higher on the one side. What can I do if my jaw is out of line like this? Can it be fixed?
There are a number of different questions that I would like to ask you to find out more about whether there is actual pathology (i.e. a problem) with your TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint), or if it is just an asymmetry. For instance, is there any pain (at rest, with chewing, etc) or is this just something that you noticed looking in the mirror? To get these questions answered and establish a diagnosis, I would recommend making an appointment to have someone take a look at your jaw and examine the TMJs. An otolaryngologist (ENT or Ear Nose Throat physician), OMFS (Oral Maxillo Facial Surgeon), or dentist would all be able to do a thorough exam of your TMJ(s) and answer all of your questions. There are definitely surgical procedures that can be performed on the TMJ, and there are also mandibular surgeries (the mandible is the lower law bone) that can be done for asymmetry if it is bad enough. However, if you have no pain and there isn't a problem with the actual mechanics of your joint, there is no guarantee that a surgery to alter your jaw might not affect function. These will all be things that they will need to discuss with you. I hope that this is helpful. Best of luck.

• Dr. Steven A. Burres
    Dr. Steven A. Burres MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    16415 Colorado Ave.
    Paramount, CA 90723
  • Dr. Martin Hopp
    Dr. Martin Hopp MD, PhD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    8631 W. Third Street
    Los Angeles, CA 90048
  • Dr. Robert Roberts
    Dr. Robert Roberts DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    9280 SE Sunnybrook Blvd.
    Clackamas, OR 97015