How does someone get cystic fibrosis?

Can people of any age get cystic fibrosis? I know its usually young people that get it, but I keep having trouble with chest congestion and my breathing, I'm 31. Could this be cystic fibrosis? How does someone my age get this problem?
Cystic fibrosis is a condition in which mutations in the function of certain proteins in the cells that line the respiratory tract and other organs in the body affect the way these organs function. The main symptoms are frequent respiratory infections, such as lung infections and sinus infections. You are right that most cases of cystic fibrosis are diagnosed in young children; however, there are several mild mutations that might be missed, and it is therefore not entirely uncommon for the condition to be diagnosed in young adults. Given that you have had this chest congestion and trouble breathing for a while, I would definitely recommend that you get in right away to see your primary care doctor. I do doubt that this is cystic fibrosis, just because, statistically speaking, there are many other much more common conditions that can cause chest congestion and trouble breathing. Examples of these include pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, and chronic sinus congestion. Your primary care doctor will ask you a series of questions and will perform a thorough examination of your heart, lungs, and ears, nose, and throat. They may want to perform other additional testing also, such as a chest x-ray. Based on these findings, they will be able to help you figure out what is going on.