ZocdocAnswersWould Bontril help me lose weight?

Question

Would Bontril help me lose weight?

I'm overweight and my friend said that she took Bontril and it helped her lose weight. Would it help me too? How do I get some Bontril? What exactly does it do?

Answer

Bontril (phendimetrazine) is a stimulant medicine which works by suppressing the appetite and by increasing the body's basal metabolic rate (raising the heart rate, etc). It is best used only in selected patients who are obese or who are very overweight with complicating factors such as diabetes. Bontril should never be used alone as a weight loss solution, because it is never very effective in that setting. It is best used when it is used as part of an intensive weight loss program. For these reasons, if you have never participated in a weight loss program or have never talked to your primary care doctor about weight loss, Bontril would not be the first step for you. You would need to start with a basic exercise program and a nutrition evaluation. These are the interventions which are most likely to help you lose weight. I would suggest that you set up a visit with your primary care doctor to discuss weight loss. They will be able to rule out any medical factors which are contributing to your overweight status and they will make exercise recommendations. They will also be able to refer you to a nutritionist, who can help you set up a diet plan.