Can you have a muscle ache if you haven't injured a muscle?

There is definitely an aching feeling in my left arm, but I know for a fact that I did not injure it. Can you get a muscle ache without injuring the actual muscle? What else would cause that kind of an ache?
There are reasons that you would have a muscle ache without actually having injured a muscle. Most of the time this type of thing goes away fairly quickly. When it doesn't go away, some of these causes should be investigated. First, it is possible that you slept on your arm wrong causing some muscle pain. This usually goes away in one to two days. Many types of infectious such as the flu can cause muscle pain as well. However, these illnesses usually also cause things like fever, chills, cough and other symptoms that go along with the muscle aches. Another possibility is that you have developed a problem in one of the joints of your arm. Problems with the joints or tendons and ligaments associated with the joints can cause pain that feels like muscle pain. Finally, certain medications especially those used to treat high cholesterol can cause muscle aches that are not associated with any injury. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Depending on what your doctor finds, you may require some blood tests and possibly some imaging of that arm. Good luck.

• Dr. Sydney Mehl
    Dr. Sydney Mehl MD
    530 1st Avenue
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    332 E. 30th Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Mahyar Eidgah
    Dr. Mahyar Eidgah MD
    310 East 14th St
    New York, NY 10003

• Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021