ZocdocAnswersAre there any effective treatments for acne I can do from home?

Question

Are there any effective treatments for acne I can do from home?

I'm 21 years old and I still have a pretty bad acne problem that started in my teens. I don't want to take any more medication. I just want it to stop. What is the best way to treat acne at home? I've read a lot, but I want to know what the best medical option is for me.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are having such problems with acne. Acne, as you probably know, develops when the pores in the skin become clogged and inflamed from debris and bacteria living on the skin. There are several home remedies that you can use for treating acne. First of all, it is helpful to wash your face daily with a good facial cleanser product. In addition to this, an exfoliating product can be useful to clean out the pores. These products have to be used regularly every single day for months in order to be consistently effective. If you do not have results from this regimen, the next step would be to add a comedonolytic, which are chemicals that strip away dead skin and debris. Several acne products that you can buy in the pharmacy have comedonolytics - probably the two most effective are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, and you can read labels to find one of these. The first order of business, however, is to set up a visit to see your dermatologist. They will be able to determine how serious your acne is and whether additional medical treatments, in addition to home remedies, are needed.