How can I make sure that my cut heals properly?

I got a pretty bad cut in the kitchen at work. It wasn't bad enough to need stitches but it is on the top of my hand and I don't want a scar. What is the best thing to do for my cut to make sure that it heals properly?
I hope you washed the wound thoroughly with soap and water to attempt to prevent an infection. It is important to see your primary care provider to have the wound examined and to make sure that you are up to date with your tetanus vaccination. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to prevent a scar if the wound was deep enough. There are many scar creams on the market right now but none of them have been proven to be very effective so I would save my money. It is more important to make sure that the cut heals as quickly as possible without getting an infection. Try to keep the wound clean and dry and apply an antibacterial ointment to it a few times a day. Once the wound has stopped bleeding it is actually better to not keep it covered with a bandage as the fresh air can help with healing and a bandage can keep the wound wet which can lead to infection. Signs of infection include redness, swelling, pus from the wound and fever. If any of these signs occur, seek medical attention promptly from your physician or an urgent care.