ZocdocAnswersIs there something wrong with my vision?

Question

Is there something wrong with my vision?

This is sort of hard to explain. But at certain times during the day, I feel a little light-headed and then my vision gets blurry. Like it is hard to focus on things that are far away. What's wrong with my vision? Do I have an eye disease?

Answer

I am concerned about the association of dizziness and blurry vision together. If this has been going on for any length of time, and especially if it is getting worse or at least not getting better, then I think you need to go see your primary care doctor for an evaluation. There are many potential causes. For example, pooling of blood in the legs may lead to something called vasovagal syncope, which can cause dizziness or fainting and, at the same time, some blurry or darkening of the vision. Also, it will be important to rule out that you are not having a more serious heart or neurological problem. Mention to your doctor any other concerning symptoms, such as palpitations, shortness or breath, chest pain, or weakness. Also you should mention to your doctor if you are taking any medications and, if you already take some prescription medications, you should go over the doses with your doctor. For example blood pressure medications and diabetes medications may cause symptoms like this. Your doctor will be able to perform a thorough medical examination to make sure there is nothing serious going on. If nothing is discovered, you can then go see an eye doctor for a complete eye exam.