ZocdocAnswersDid I have food poisoning?

Question

Did I have food poisoning?

For a couple of days I was vomiting and using the bathroom a lot, but then it went away. My stomach is still a little queasy, doesnt seem to be improving. Did I have food poisoning? What should I do if I did have it? Do I have to take some kind of medicine to make it go away all the way?

Answer

There are a few different possibilities here. One is definitely food poisoning, which occurs when you ingest food that contains a toxin which causes stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Food poisoning typically comes on fairly quickly after ingesting the food and it tends to get better quickly as well, often within a few days or less. Another possibility is that you had gastroenteritis, which is a condition in which you become infected with a bacteria or virus that sets up in your intestines and causes pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Sometimes there may also be cold symptoms, such as cough and runny nose, if the infection is caused by a virus that also causes these symptoms. Most of the time both food poisoning and gastroenteritis will get better on their own without medical help and do not require any medications. Regardless, I would recommend discussing this issue with your doctor. And if you are experiencing any severe symptoms, such as high fevers or blood in your bowel movements, or if you are unable to keep down any liquids due to nausea or vomiting, these would be signs that you should seek immediate medical help. Good luck!