ZocdocAnswersIs my stomach pain caused by gastroenteritis?

Question

Is my stomach pain caused by gastroenteritis?

Woke up with a funny feeling in my stomach and now I can't stop using the bathroom (diarrhea). Do I have gastroenteritis? My stomach is starting to hurt too.

Answer

Give the symptoms you describe, and how quickly they came on, I would think that gastroenteritis would be a likely diagnosis. Basically, gastroenteritis is an infection of the intestine, usually caused by a virus, that leads to rapid onside diarrhea. There may also be nausea and vomiting, depending on the type of virus that is causing the infection. Generally speaking, viral gastroenteritis is a self-limiting condition that goes away on its own within a day or two. The main issue is to make sure to stay well hydrated with liquids, to keep up with the amount of water that you are losing in the diarrhea. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to have these symptoms evaluated by your primary care doctor. I say this because, occasionally, symptoms like the ones you are describing are do to a more serious bacterial infection that requires more aggressive treatment with antibiotics. Even if you do not have a serious infection, seeing your doctor is still a good idea, because they may be able to give you medications to control nausea and other symptoms, which will help you stay hydrated and be more comfortable while you recover. I hope you are feeling better soon!