How do you cure a sinus infection?

I think I have a sinus infection because my stuffy nose will not go away and my snot is a weird yellow color. How do I make it go away? Do I have to take a prescription medication?
Sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly! Your symptoms do sound like they may be related to your sinuses. When the sinuses become inflamed and congested, symptoms include thick nasal mucus, congestion, cough, and pain or pressure in the head. Most cases of sinus congestion do not qualify as a sinus 'infection' per se, but your doctor will be able to help you figure this out and recommend the appropriate treatment. Simple cases of sinus congestion can be treated at home with over the counter decongestant medications and irrigation of the nasal passages with the Nettipot or a similar saline irrigation system. In more difficult cases, your doctor will probably add a nasal steroid spray to further reduce inflammation and congestion. Rarely, only in the most serious cases, are antibiotics necessary to treat a sinus problem. If you have recurrent sinus problems, rather than just this one single episode, that is also something to talk to your doctor about, as you may want to consider taking a daily medication to prevent nasal congestion even after this episode clears up. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor today, and I hope that you are feeling better very soon!

• Dr. Jason Hampl
    Dr. Jason Hampl MD
    307 W Hwy 54