Did I pull my hamstring?

I was running outside yesterday and got a sharp pain in my hamstring. Now it is sore. Is it just a strain or did I pull the muscle? How can I tell the difference and how long should I wait before I go running again?
Sorry to hear about the injury! Anytime you have any sort of injury while running, you really should not run again until the pain is gone completely. Otherwise you run the risk of a reinjury, which can be much worse and can interfere with your training for a long time. A strain is a type of muscle injury in which some muscle fibers tear as a result of over work during exercise. A strain and a pulled muscle are two names for exactly the same thing, and the symptoms include tenderness and tightness in the affected muscle. Treatment for a strained muscle can include rest, icing the affected area, and regularly taking over the counter anti inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If your doctor prescribes these measures, you could be starting to feel better within several days to a week or so. Please make an appointment to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to examine your leg to make sure you have not sustained a more serious injury.

Nearby Sports Medicine Specialists

• Dr. Sheetal Deo
    Dr. Sheetal Deo DO
    Sports Medicine Specialist
    110 East 23rd Street
    New York, NY 10010
  • Dr. Hilary Kern
    Dr. Hilary Kern MD
    Sports Medicine Specialist
    37 E 30th St.
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Artur Hryhorowych
    Dr. Artur Hryhorowych MD
    Sports Medicine Specialist
    147 E. 26th Street
    New York, NY 10010

Other Sports Medicine Specialists