ZocdocAnswersWhy am I wheezing?

Question

Why am I wheezing?

Lately I've been having a wheezy feeling in my chest and I can hear it when I'm breathing sometimes too. What would cause this?

Answer

If these symptoms have been going on for a while and are not getting better, or if you are having any trouble breathing, then you should definitely seek medical attention as soon as possible. There are several potential causes of the wheezing noise you are experiencing. First if you have a history of asthma or allergy, you may be having an asthma flare. These are typically characterized by wheeze, tightness in the chest, cough, and shortness of breath. If you think you might be having an asthma flare, you need to see your doctor right away. Another possibility would be bronchitis, which is an inflammation of the upper airways, typically caused by a virus but sometimes also be a bacteria. Symptoms include a tight sensation in the chest and a worsening cough. Bronchitis should be evaluated by a doctor if the cough persists or worsens, if there is fever, or if the mucus production increases. A cause of wheezing in the chest unrelated to the lungs is bad heart burn. Acid escaping from the stomach can irritate the airways, producing wheezing and cough, especially at night. I suggest that you start by seeing your primary care doctor as soon as possible.