ZocdocAnswersWhat is this weird bump on my wrist?

Question

What is this weird bump on my wrist?

There is a bump on my wrist on the left hand side. It is right on the bone on the outside of my wrist. It doesn't hurt but it is getting pretty big. Is this something serious or is just a cyst or something like that?

Answer

This sounds like a ganglion cyst. Ganglion cysts are cysts that grow off of the connective tissue that surrounds the tendons. They are very common in the wrist. Fortunately, ganglion cysts are not dangerous. However, they can sometimes continue to grow, and this can be either a cosmetic problem or become uncomfortable from stretching the skin and accidentally bumping the cyst against hard objects. You should go see your primary care doctor at your convenience, because they will be able to examine your wrist and confirm the diagnosis of a ganglion cyst. In case it is not a ganglion cyst, they will also be able to consider an alternative diagnosis. If this does turn out to be a ganglion cyst and is not bothering you, your doctor will probably tell you that it is best to leave it alone and watch it for a while.This is because the only really effective way to get rid of the cyst is to have it surgically removed, and there is a relatively high rate of recurrence of the cysts after surgery (mostly because it is really hard to effectively remove the entire cyst). If the cyst becomes a problem for you, your doctor will be able to refer you to a surgeon for surgical removal.