ZocdocAnswersWhen do most people have their last growth spurt?

Question

When do most people have their last growth spurt?

I'm worried that my son is always going to be short. He is 12 years old and is only 5 feet tall. Will he have another growth spurt? When do most people have their last growth spurt?

Answer

Puberty starts at different ages for different kids and it is a process that takes a couple years. In general, a major growth spurt occurs at the time of puberty, usually between 11 and 15 years in boys. During puberty, they will have a growth spurt and grow to their adult height. Most boys will have their last growth spurt into their late teens. A few of these boys may grow into their early 20s. Your child should reach his adult weight by this estimation: adding your and his father's heights in either inches or centimeters, then adding 5 inches and dividing by two. He should reach his adult weight within 2 inches of this estimation. That said, growth has long been recognized as a measure of the health of individuals. As such, nutrition plus health, genetic potential, and hormonal balance is a basic formula regulating growth. When a child is not growing at a normal rate, one or more of these 3 factors are responsible. If you are concerned about your son's growth, I would advise a consultation with a primary care provider who may refer him to an endocrinologist. Growth hormone supplements can be given to him if it is determined by the doctor that he is not growing properly or has a health condition stunting his growth. Please be informed that these hormones can carry serious health risks so be sure to discuss with the doctor thoroughly.