ZocdocAnswersIs makeup bad for a person's skin?

Question

Is makeup bad for a person's skin?

I'm 21 years old and just started wearing a lot of makeup for the first time a few months ago. My skin on my face has been dry and now I have more pimples. Is it because of the makeup? Can makeup be bad for your skin?

Answer

There is almost certainly a relationship between recently starting to use makeup and experiencing dryness and pimples. In particular, the pimples are probably due to the fact that the makeup is contributing to plugging of the pores in your skin. The dryness may be due to the fact that whatever method you are using for makeup removal is drying out your skin. Obviously one strategy to eliminate the pimples would be to decrease the amount of makeup or, at least, look for a makeup product that doesn't cause so much pore clogging (a cosmetician might be able to give you some recommendations here). Also, it will be important to have a good skin cleansing regimen, which should include at least a mild facial soap and exfoliant, to keep your pores open. Avoid harsh soaps, vigorous scrubbing, and very hot water, as these may all contribute to drying out the skin. Astringents also may cause excessive skin dryness without adding a lot of benefit in terms of pore cleaning. In any case, the first step is talking to your primary care doctor or dermatologist to get a diagnosis! Good luck.