ZocdocAnswersHow can I prevent diarrhea?

Question

How can I prevent diarrhea?

I get diarrhea a lot and I am sick and tired of it. How can I make it stop? Is there some kind of a drug that would help me? So tired of this!

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with diarrhea. If you have not gone to see your primary care doctor about this, I would strongly recommend that you do so. There are many medical causes of recurrent diarrhea, and your doctor will be able to help you think about them and identify potential causes and treatments. For example, sometimes an intestinal infection can be the cause, particularly if you have been traveling abroad or otherwise at risk for picking something up. There are also several food intolerance problems that can cause diarrhea. Lactose intolerance can cause bloating, cramping, and loose bowel movements when eating dairy. Celiac disease can can abdominal pain and diarrhea, related to a reaction of the body to certain proteins found in wheat products. Finally, inflammatory bowel disease is a serious intestinal condition characterized by blood in the bowel movements, abdominal pain, and sometimes other symptoms such as weight loss, fever, and aching joints. Based on the other symptoms that you have, your doctor will likely recommend some additional testing, which might include simple blood tests and test of your bowel movements. The results of these tests will help determine what is going on.