ZocdocAnswersHow can I shrink my stomach?

Question

How can I shrink my stomach?

I want to lose weight because I am obese. I don't want to have any of those surgeries though because I don't have health insurance. Is there a way to shrink my stomach on my own? Its the only way I can think of to stop eating so much.

Answer

If by 'shrink your stomach' you mean physically reduce the size of your stomach, like is done with the bariatric surgery (stomach banding or stapling), there is unfortunately no way that that can be done without having surgery. However, bariatric surgery is not the only way to lose weight. In fact, many people are able to successfully lose weight by following a diet and exercise plan. When you are overweight and out of shape, thinking about diet and exercise can be overwhelming. Therefore, it is important to enlist some help so that you can succeed. A good first stop is your primary care doctor. They can perform a medical checkup to make sure there are no medical barriers to exercise, and they can also refer you to a nutritionist. A nutritionist will be able to take a look at your over all eating habits and weight loss needs and help you come up with some clear, well defined goals for reducing your caloric intake and starting to eat more healthy meals. Finally, you can look around your community for a gym membership or activity group that you can join so that you can start to exercise in an enjoyable setting with people you enjoy being around. Again, please discuss with your primary care doctor. Good luck!