ZocdocAnswersAre the lumps around my genitals flat warts?

Question

Are the lumps around my genitals flat warts?

I have these little flesh colored bumps around my pubic hair near my genitals/penis. Are these flat warts? Genital warts? How can I tell?

Answer

Genital warts are small, irregularly shaped fleshy bumps that tend be concentrated on the shaft and tip of the penis. They are less likely to occur on the thighs or in the pubic hair, although this can also happen. They are usually easy to tell apart from other conditions because of their rough, irregular, painless appearance. As you know, genital warts are a sexually transmitted infection caused by the human papilloma virus. If you think you have genital warts, it is important to see your doctor so that you can talk about potential treatment options, such as freezing the warts or other removal techniques. It is also important to think about a barrier protection method when you are having sexual intercourse, as genital warts can easily be passed to a sexual partner. Another skin condition that is sometimes confused with genital warts is skin tags. These are smooth, fleshy protrusions of skin that usually sit on a narrow base. They tend to occur in areas of friction, such as the inside of the thighs or the groin crease. Skin tags are not an infection like genital warts, but they can also be treated with removal if they become unsightly. Talk to your primary care doctor for a diagnosis and treatment. Good luck!