ZocdocAnswersIs there anything I can do about being a heavy sleeper?

Question

Is there anything I can do about being a heavy sleeper?

I have so much trouble waking up in the morning. I want to do something about it. Is there anything I can do to make myself wake up better/be a lighter sleeper? Maybe something is wrong with my brain.

Answer

If you are not sleeping well, or if you wake up in the morning persistently tired even after sleeping all night long, then this is an issue that you need to talk to your primary care doctor about, as there are several conditions that can cause trouble like this with sleep that should be investigated. One of the most common cause of poor sleep and difficulty waking up in the morning is consuming things that interfere with sleep architecture. For example, both caffeine and alcohol can do this, and you should cut them out completely if you are having sleep problems. Also, there are many medications that can interfere with sleep, including many cold or flu preparations as well as anti histamine medications. If you are taking a new medication this might have something to do with the problem. Furthermore excessive day time fatigue even after sleeping all night can some times be a sign of sleep apnea, which is a condition in which the soft tissues of the throat and neck periodically collapse during sleep, closing off the airway and causing sleep disruption. The condition is more common in those who snore and who are overweight. Your primary care doctor will be able to evaluate you for the condition.