ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing my feeling of weakness?

Question

What is causing my feeling of weakness?

Hard to pin down when it started exactly, but I've been feeling very weak lately. It seems like my whole body just doesn't have the strength that it used to. Is there a medical problem that can cause your whole body to feel weak?

Answer

I definitely recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor about this problem. Vague but troubling symptoms like this one need to be checked out thoroughly, especially when the do not get better or when they persist. There are several potential causes of your weakness. First of all, your doctor will want to perform a thorough exam of your muscle strength and of your neurological system, as well as looking for signs of muscle inflammation or pain. This will be to rule out any potential neurological problem or problem directly with the muscles themselves. They may supplement this examination with some tests to look for evidence of muscle damage or inflammation. They will also want to review any medications that you are taking, as medications are a very common cause of weakness. Other common causes of weakness include an imbalance in the thyroid gland, and electrolyte imbalances in the blood. These causes can also be easily investigated with simple blood tests. Because the list of things that can cause weakness is long, it is hard to give you a more specific sense of what is going on here. However, this investigation by your doctor will be the first step, and then, based on the results, they will be able to help you figure out what is going on.