What should I know about being hypoglycemic?

I know from reading that I am hypoglycemic and what kind of foods to eat and which ones not to. But what else? How else can I make sure I stay healthy now that I know I am hypoglycemic?
One really important point here to make is that you should not consider yourself to be hypoglycemic if you have not been actually diagnosed as such by a doctor with a blood test. There is a lot of low quality information on the internet about alleged hypoglycemia. However, in actuality, real hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is very rare and usually only occurs in diabetic patients as a side effect of their insulin or other sugar lowering medications. One common condition that is frequently called 'hypoglycemia' on the internet is fatigue or lethargy after eating. This is actually not hypoglycemia, however, in most cases. Similarly, the feeling of nausea and shakiness that sometimes occurs if you haven't eaten in a while is very rarely actual hypoglycemia (assuming you are not diabetic). What I would suggest is that you go see your primary care doctor about this issue and discuss the exact symptoms that you are experiencing. They will be able to help you make sense of them and, if there is concern for real hypoglycemia, they will start the laboratory workup that is necessary in order to formally make that diagnosis. Please schedule a doctor appointment today!