ZocdocAnswersAre infants more susceptible to infections?

Question

Are infants more susceptible to infections?

Should I stay away from my baby sister? I'm 19 and have a sore throat with cold symptoms. Should I be in the same room with her or will she catch what I have? Are babies more likely to get sick from adults than other adults?

Answer

Small infants are more susceptible to certain kinds of infections because their immune systems are not totally developed yet. Therefore care must always be taken when being around an infant while you are feeling sick. At a bare minimum, you should make sure to wash your hands frequently, especially whenever handing the baby. Also make sure to cover your mouth and nose if you sneeze or cough, and wash your hands after touching your mouth or nose. If the baby is very small (less than about three months old) it would be best to be very careful, especially if there are other people in the family who can take care of the baby instead of you. This is because babies less than three months old are in particularly susceptible to infections and need special protection at this time. After three months of age, the risk of serious infection is less. Of course, you should still always be careful, but the overall risk is less. If the baby does start to get sick or looks unwell in anyway, the best thing to do is to touch base with her pediatrician. They will be able to examine the child and make sure everything is ok!