Can you get an infection in your vocal chords?

I lost my voice two days ago and it is still not back. Do I have an infection in my vocal chords or something? Is this even possible?
Infections of the upper aerodigestive tract are very common. Losing your voice due to infection involving the vocal cords is also very common. The key is to avoid straining your voice until it starts to recover, as this can create bad speech habits that will lead to nodules on your vocal cords that can alter your voice for the rest of your life. Generally, the things that are best to do during short upper respiratory tract infections like this are to wash your hands often, use a humidifier in your room at night, don't strain your voice, and drink warm thin liquids as needed. Generally, your voice will return within a few days, depending on what is happening, and most often there is no need for antibiotics. You should begin by seeing a doctor. This is especially true if you have any difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Otolaryngologists, or Ear-Nose-and Throat Surgeons, have specialized cameras that they can use to get an excellent look at your voice box if necessary.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021