What should I do if my muscles always feel stiff?

Every muscle in my body just about feels stiff lately. I stretch and it doesn't help. It is worse when I wake up. Why would all of my muscles be stiff at the same time?
One saying that is often used in medicine is that "common things are common." In your specific situation, this means that there is probably a very simple explanation for the increased stiffness that you have been feeling. Perhaps you changed your bed, your pillow, or your chair at work? Perhaps you started a new work out routine? Perhaps a new medication that you started is having side effects? Or, perhaps you are just experiencing normal aging. The key to all of these is that there are some rare reasons that can be causing common problems. For that reason, seeking the advice of a physician if your problem persists is important. A physical examination by a licensed physician will give you the peace of mind that you are well, or uncover further issues that may need to be examined. Stiffness can sometimes be a sign of rheumatologic disorders, muscle disorders, or just about anything else. It is a very vague symptom, that usually is only of value if there are other symptoms such as focal pain or swelling, fevers, weight loss, or fatigue that are also present. Regardless, please see your doctor as a starting point. Good luck.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
  • Dr. Anna Zaletayeva
    Dr. Anna Zaletayeva MD
    70 Walnut St.
    Foxboro, MA 02035