ZocdocAnswersHow do you remove a corn?

Question

How do you remove a corn?

I think I have a corn on one of my toes. How do I get rid of it?

Answer

Corns, as you probably know, are thick areas of skin that develop in spots of pressure on the foot. They most common develop on the outside edges of the foot over bony spots that rub against shoes, but they can also occur between the toes at times. They can be very painful, because the thickened skin presses against the underlying tissue. If you think you might have a corn, I would recommend that you go see your foot doctor or your primary care doctor to confirm the diagnosis. If it turns out that you do have a corn, there are several treatment options available to you. First, for more simple cases, simply relieving the pressure that produced the corn in the first place may be enough. For example, getting rid of any tight or poorly fitting shoes is an important first step. Additionally, your doctor may recommend an over the counter pressure treatment, such as a pressure relieving device or a corn plaster. More serious cases may require shaving of the corn. It is best not to try this yourself, as there is danger of cutting yourself or causing a skin infection. However, a podiatrist is very skill at removing corns surgically and should be able to help you out!