ZocdocAnswersHow can I relieve nausea?

Question

How can I relieve nausea?

For some reason I will get nauseous out of nowhere from time to time. Is there any way I can relieve this feeling? Any way to prevent getting nauseous? Nothing else seems to be wrong with me...

Answer

Nausea can be very distressing and disruptive to daily life. Furthermore, there are many different things that can cause nausea, and the best way to sort them out is to visit your primary care physician for a more thorough history and physical exam. A patient's age, medications, and prior health history can be very helpful in determining the cause of nausea. For example, a woman of reproductive age can develop nausea associated with the menstrual cycle or pregnancy. Patients with a prior history of migraines may develop nausea in the setting of a headache. Some patients may develop nausea because of a chronic medication--while any new changes in medication may be involved, it is also possible for medications that have been taken for years to start causing nausea occasionally. Patients with prior abdominal surgeries can develop transient obstructions of the bowel which can cause nausea (along with significant pain and sometimes vomiting). Infections of the GI tract can also cause nausea. As you can tell, the list is quite long (and could be even longer!). The important thing is to be evaluated by a physician who can look at you as a distinct patient to try and identify the most likely cause of your symptoms. Hopefully you will be feeling better in no time!