ZocdocAnswersDo I have a pinched nerve?

Question

Do I have a pinched nerve?

I have a strange ache in my right hand. It is like the whole hand, muscles and joints and everything hurts. Do I maybe have a pinched nerve in my arm or wrist? How can I find out if I do?

Answer

I would recommend that you go see your primary care doctor for evaluation, especially if this ache has been going on for a while, or if the symptoms are getting worse. There are a few different potential causes of this ache, but a nerve problem is certainly one of them. The most common nerve problem that affects the wrist is carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a condition in which the median nerve, which is the nerve that runs down the center of the wrist into the hand, because pinched, compressed, or inflamed. This typically occurs because of an overuse or strain injury to the wrist, such as might occur from repetitive actions involving the wrist, like typing on a keyboard. Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome can include weakness and pain in the muscles of the hand; also, there can be numbness or tingling in the fingers, especially the thumb, index, and middle finger. Another common cause of pain in the wrist and hand is tendonitis, or inflammation of the tendons of the wrist. Again, this is typically an overuse injury, caused by the same kinds of actions that produce carpal tunnel syndrome, but without nerve involvement. Talk to your primary care doctor who will be able to confirm a diagnosis and recommend an appropriate treatment!